Consuming food grown with seaweed used as a fertilizer helps give you important minerals that are more frequently deficient from land-based diets.
Seaweed contains all major and minor plant nutrients, and all trace elements; alginic acid; vitamins; auxins; at least two gibberellins; and antibiotics. For those who cannot gather fresh seaweed, it is available in a dried ‘meal’ form or as a concentrated liquid extract which is active in significantly smaller rates.
Seaweed benefits for plants include:
- Stronger plants with greater vigour
- Protection from marginal frosts
- Plants stay longer in production
- Produce travels better and has longer shelf life
- Improved root formation
- Improved survival of seedlings
- Resistance to mildew and other diseases
- General increase in health, so less insect infestations